I’m typing this on my new iPad that my amazing wife and family gave to me for my 30th birthday. I’ll be as fair and honest as I can be in my review. But I love this thing!
1. You have to realize the iPad is not a replacement for a MacBook. You might say “Why don’t I just get a laptop?” Well, a fully loaded MacBook can be $2000 more than an iPad!
2. I love the iPad because of the way I can read books on it. You can use Apple’s iBooks store or the Kindle app to buy, store and read books. I like the Kindle app because they have more books (most are $9.99) and I can highlight and type notes in the book as I read it. Book reading is something I just can’t do on my MacBook. Also, the iPad feels great in your hands for reading books.
3. The apps offer something else my MacBook doesn’t. If you have an iPhone you know how useful apps can be. On the iPad they are bigger and better. Games and gadgets are a lot of fun on the iPad and I think app developers are just scratching the surface.
4. The iPad is THE best way to surf the Internet. It’s really fast, comfortable to hold while relaxing on the couch, zooms in and out and the images and video are crystal clear.
5. It doesn’t have Flash (and it doesn’t need it). So many sites, such as CNN, Vimeo and ESPN, are turning away from Flash just so that iPad users can still enjoy their site. Many others will follow. Apple’s philosophy is that everyone will come to them, not the other way around.
6. iTunes movies and tv shows look so good!
7. I love the 10 hour battery life, also a positive a difference from a laptop.
8. There are some apps that let you create documents on the iPad but nothing too impressive. Google docs and calendar will let you view but not edit or add new items. But it probably won’t be long.
7. The keyboard: it’s faster than an iPhone but slower than a laptop. You don’t want to type a long time on this thing.
Overall, I love it. I would have probably bought it just for the books and internet. It’s not a device that does everything (camera, iChat, phone) but at this price, it’s not supposed to.
Thank you so much Christina and family!